Some 20 years ago my parents began putting some of their childhood memories to paper at my rather nagging and repetitive insistence. I was a young parent and wanted my children to know what everyday life had been like for their grandparents growing up in the 1930s and 1940s. I was rather lucky because both my parents complied. I hope other family members will add their own stories here.

Friday, July 14, 2006

A Childhood Story by Sue Poag

Williamsville, MO., I was in 3rd grade. (Circa 1938)

We could take a quart of home canned vegetables to school to pay for our lunches for a week. We had lots of snow there. We spent recesses on a sled!! Genivieve Ferguson was one of my friends. At her house in an out building, she had a huge pile of oats. She was saving the box tops for some premium.

Heard she is organist at the church now.

One summer we were going to Aunt Effie's. They put me in the middle of the front seat behind the gear shift as usual so I complained. Dad made me get out of the car. I was about 8 years old. I didn't care. I sat on the porch swing and made plans for my week alone. I knew I could get in one of the windows. We had credit at the grocery store and I was going to listen to the radio, eat grapes and read books. My dad and all came back to get me and I was disappointed.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

4:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home