Some 20 years ago my parents began putting some of their childhood memories to paper at my rather nagging and repetitive insistence. I was a young parent and wanted my children to know what everyday life had been like for their grandparents growing up in the 1930s and 1940s. I was rather lucky because both my parents complied. I hope other family members will add their own stories here.

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Sue Poag Story Lamar SC 1938

We moved there in 1938 so I was still 8. There was a girl in my class named Doris. My teacher kept me after school to write two spelling words I missed - like 100 times or something. When I finished, Doris was waiting for me in the school yard. She said, "Mrs. Grumley is a mean ole' devil for keeping you after school, isn't she?"

I knew I couldn't say someone was a devil, so I didn't respond. She kept on asking the same question and after a while I agreed. The next day, she told the teacher that I had said she (the teacher) was a 'mean ole' devil'.

One day at Doris' house she unscrewed the light bulb that hung down low in their kitchen, put her little brother in his high chair under the electric outlet, put a spoon in his yhand, stood in front of him raising her hands in the air trying to get him to imitate her and electrocute himself.

At a picnic, my mother said Doris' mother says Doris is such a big help to her. You could be a bigger help. How could I explain to her about the attempted murder?

One day Doris wrote a love note to a boy in my class who would bring me pomegranetes and arrowheads and signed my name to it. That day, I hit her in the head with my books as hard as I could.

She's either in prison now or CEO of Toys R Us.

Georgia, Gene and Joan had typhoid fever there. It was a terrible time. People frequently died if they had typhoid. Praise the Good Lord, they made it through. That was Lamar.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

4:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home