Some 20 years ago my parents began putting some of their childhood memories to paper at my rather nagging and repetitive insistence. I was a young parent and wanted my children to know what everyday life had been like for their grandparents growing up in the 1930s and 1940s. I was rather lucky because both my parents complied. I hope other family members will add their own stories here.

Friday, July 21, 2006

Sue Poag - Mullins, South Carolina ca. 1940

Georgia and Opal left home and went to Columbia, S.C., to school and work. They met their future husbands there. Joe and Grady were in the Army.

That was where one of the Rockefellers fell for my beautiful sister, Georgia, but Grady was his commanding officer, he put a stop to that.

In Mullins, the first time I walked down into the little town, the black people got off of the sidewalk so I imitated them and stood off in the grass as they did until a man told me to go on. Only black people did that.

I was nine or ten years old. I had an infected tooth so my mom told me to go to the dentist. I walked down five or six blocks then down a side street and up a flight of stairs to see the dentist. He pulled the tooth. I didn't question going to the dentist alone at this age. I was doing lots of errands for my mom like grocery shopping, etc. Fanchon asked me how I liked the dentist and I told her he was good so she went to him. He made a pass at her and she got mad at me.

Opal bought me a pair of riding boots and Georgia gave me a pair of jodphurs. So I was in hog heaven. They would sometimes rope off a small street and let the children skate. I was cool in my jodphurs and boots, skating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home