Some 20 years ago my parents began putting some of their childhood memories to paper at my rather nagging and repetitive insistence. I was a young parent and wanted my children to know what everyday life had been like for their grandparents growing up in the 1930s and 1940s. I was rather lucky because both my parents complied. I hope other family members will add their own stories here.

Sunday, February 05, 2012

Dad writes about Robert McBride Poag in Wayne County

After Robert Mcbride Poag returned to Wayne County, Tn. with his Chickasaw bride, Esther Burgess, they produced 12 children, including William Jasper Poag born in 1845 and married Fanny Staggs in 1865. William Jasper and Fanny produced 5 boys and three girls; Gus, Frank (Benjamen Franklin, my grandfather), Bill, Bob, Emily, Esther and Lizzie. ORAL TRADITION: It is said that Fanny Staggs was a tiny lady with an Irish temper, and that William Jasper was something of a rascal. On one of his birthdays, Fanny set up a surprise party for William Jasper. William Jasper became angry, when he saw all the horses, buggies and wagons in his yard, so he ran the guests off in a none too polite manner. This incensed Fanny, so she threw his clothes out into the yard. ------------------------------------------------------------------- My grandfather, Frank (Benjamen Franklin Poag) married Sally Nutt, who was half indian. Oral tradition has it that she was Cherokee, but uncle Grady Nutt told me it was Chickasaw. Lizzie Poag, Frank's sister married Bill Morrow in Lawrence County. She and Maw Poag (Sally) would have passed for sisters, if not twins. ------------------------------------------------------------------- BELOW IS A PICTURE OF FRANK IN THE MIDDLE BETWEEN HIS FOUR BROTHERS

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a descendant of Samuel leonidas Poag. my grandmother was Ivy sue poag I would appreciate any information that you have on Esther Poag. you can contact me at boots2coots@yahoo.com, Thank you, Shannon S. Moore

8:57 PM

 
Anonymous tapwelch@yahoo.com said...

As I was researching the Poag family, I came across your blog.I am a descendant of Sophronia Jane Churchwell Staggs who was Fanny Staggs' mother. My great grandmother ,Nancy Jane Staggs Pollock, was Fanny's sister. I chuckled when I read the story about William J.Poag's birthday party. From the stories I have heard from my mother and her family, Nancy had the same fiery temper. Nancy lived with my mother's family and the Staggs and Poag families were frequent visitors in my granddad's home.I have an old photo album that contains photos of Sophronia Jane's children and their families. There is a picture of Fanny and her family and one of her daughter Emily Poag Bassham Robinson and her family. I particularly enjoyed your stories since I also collect any story or memorabilia from fammily members or friends.If you would like copies of the old photos I have, I will share copies with you. If you are interested, you may contact me at tapwelch@yahoo.com

12:55 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Bill Poag was my Grandfather. I couldn't help but notice that the picture of the 5 Poag brothers are incorrectly named. They are from left to right: Jim, Gus, Frank, Bill(my Grandfather) , and Bob. I have the negative to this picture which was given to my Mother by Delphia Poag Whittenburg, one of Frank and Sally Nutt Poag's daughters.

2:50 PM

 
Anonymous Judy A Jennings said...

I am Judy Ann Nutt (Jennings) Grady Nutt's daughter with his second wife Irene. I remember Daddy saying Choctaw was our ancestory on both his Mom and Dad's side. I am now 67 but of course stayed connected to family in Waynesboro.

3:12 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I am the granddaughter of Elizabeth "Lizzie" Poag Morrow (husband: Wm. B. Morrow). Growing up when I behaved stubbornly or had temper fit I was told "It was the Poag in me." Vicki, I'm glad to see you are still around. I have not had any connection with this part of family is years.

10:52 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home