Some 20 years ago my parents began putting some of their childhood memories to paper at my rather nagging and repetitive insistence. I was a young parent and wanted my children to know what everyday life had been like for their grandparents growing up in the 1930s and 1940s. I was rather lucky because both my parents complied. I hope other family members will add their own stories here.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Ward Poag-1932 Letters to Daddy

As I mentioned before, Daddy was in Texas recovering from TB. Every day or so Momma would get a letter from him. She'd read parts of the letter to me, and then write him back. Strangely enough, after she got through writing the letter, she'd ask me if I wanted to write something to him. I always said yes even though I hadn't yet learned to read or write. I'd put my chicken scratchings on a piece of paper and then read what I'd written to Momma and she'd smile like she was proud of what I'd written.

I never did tell Momma I couldn't read or write. You'd think she'd have known, her being a school teacher and all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home